Saturday, October 2, 2010

Design from a Childs Point of View


Thinking of my first encounter with design was an easy thing for me to come up with. Since I was two years old I loved dolls, but in particularly Barbie’s.  That is what sparked my first experience with design. 
Playing with Barbie’s and dressing them up was not just a hobby, for me it was part of my everyday life.  Everything about Barbie’s had always interested me. I was fascinated by the way they looked, being able to change their clothes and being able to take them places.  Having all of the accessories that go with Barbie’s was a huge plus.  To me Barbie’s were not just toys.  When playing with Barbie’s they always had to be perfectly matching. Their bags had to match their shoes and their outfit had to have nice fabrics and colors.  The Barbie lifestyle did not stay contained in Barbie land for long.  Shortly after I discovered my love for the Barbie life, I decided to live it.  Almost every day I would dress up and pretend I was one. I would hold fashion shows with my friends at my house, and I had to make sure that everyone matched and had the best designs. .  Doing all of those things in my childhood created great memories for me as an adult.
Design has always been a part of me and I am still intrigued by it.  From a young age it was apparent that I knew what I wanted to be when I was older.  I wanted to be a designer, and that is still true to this day. I still own most of my Barbie items and dress up clothes from my childhood, I have held on to them because they hold great memories.  But some I have passed down to younger family members to hope that they will find the same joy in them that I once had.

No comments:

Post a Comment